Use the Clockwise for Slack integration to seamlessly communicate your meeting and work status with your team.
The Clockwise Slack integration makes your work life easier in at least three ways:
- It can automatically update your status with your availability.
- It offers you and your teammates a preview of your day, and your team’s day.
- It silences unwanted interruptions for deep focus with Do Not Disturb.
- Set up the Clockwise for Slack app
- Use the Slack Status Sync
- Use the automatic Do Not Disturb
- Set up your daily forecast
- Set up flexible meeting notifications
- Remove your Slack sync
How to set up the Clockwise Slack app
To set up the Clockwise Slack app, you need to first sign up for the Clockwise Chrome Extension. Once you have signed up for Clockwise, connecting to Slack is easy. There will be an onboarding tip card in the Clockwise feed the first time you sign up, or you can connect to Slack directly from Settings at any time.
If you are a part of multiple Slack organizations, Clockwise will only connect to the organization you specify. You can add another Slack account from Settings.
Revisit your Slack settings from inside the chrome extension, or by typing "/cw settings" to the Clockwise bot in Slack.
Set up your Status Sync
Clockwise lets you select between two levels of syncing your event status:
- Include calendar event titles - if you select this option, Clockwise will sync the full title of your meetings to your Slack status. If you mark an individual event as "private" we will not sync the title of that event. However, if your calendar is private to some or all people within your organization, Clockwise will still display the full titles of your events.
- Don't include calendar event titles - No event titles will be displayed. Only that you are "In a meeting" and the category of that meeting.
To access your Slack settings:
- Click on your settings in Clockwise by opening Google Calendar, navigating to the Clockwise panel, clicking menu, and selecting Settings.
- Scroll down and click on "Clockwise for Slack"
- You will then have the option to set your slack status settings
Clockwise automatically syncs your current calendar status to Slack in the form of an emoji with descriptive text. Clockwise will only sync events categorized in Clockwise. The different options for the statuses are below:
- 🗓 – In a "meeting category" Meeting (via Clockwise) (For example: 🗓 In an external meeting (via Clockwise))
- 💡 – Focus Time (via Clockwise) *
- ⛔️ – Out of Office (via Clockwise)
- The current phase of the moon [🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔] – Before Working Hours or Outside of Working Hours (via Clockwise)
- Blank – no description, shows when you're in fragmented time, in a meeting that Clockwise has categorized as not a true meeting (a hold, travel time, etc), and on weekends.
Based on the meeting setup, you may also see this emoji in accompaniment with any of the above:
- 🔕 Slack notifications are muted
* This includes Focus Time events you've scheduled manually using Google's Focus Time event type.
Clockwise categorizes your time automatically. You can also customize the categorization of an event by clicking on the event and selecting a category from the drop-down under the event title. If you want to change the category of a meeting, you can do that from inside the Clockwise chrome extension.
How to set up automatic Do Not Disturb
Ever get distracted by Slack messages when you're in a meeting? Or when you're really trying to get work done? Clockwise for Slack will automatically put you into "Do Not Disturb" mode in Slack, so you don't see any Slack notifications during those times.
You can leave Do Not Disturb mode at any time by clicking on your user icon in Slack > Pause Notifications > Resume notifications.
Customize when you would like to enter DND mode from settings inside Slack (/cw settings) or inside the chrome extension.
To update your DnD settings from your Chrome extension:
- Navigate to your Clockwise settings by opening Google Calendar, navigating to the Clockwise panel, clicking Menu (☰), and selecting Settings
- Scroll down and click on Clockwise for Slack
- Navigate to the option "Turn on Do Not Disturb"
- Make a selection of what you want to set for your Do Not Disturb settings
Set up your daily forecast
The Clockwise Daily Forecast gives you a summary of your day.
Customize the time that you receive it – whether it's the evening in the prior day, or the morning before your day starts – from Menu (☰) > Settings > Integrations > Slack
Set up flexible meeting notifications
If any of your meetings are marked as flexible, Slack is an easy way to stay up-to-date about meeting moves. See at a glance which meeting moved, why it moved, and what the benefit was to you and your teammates.
To set this up:
- Navigate to Menu (☰) > Settings > Integrations > Slack.
- Adjust the setting for "Receive summary of your flexible meeting updates" here to "yes".
Key things to know about uninstalling Clockwise for Slack:
- Removing your account will disable meeting status updates via Slack
- Un-syncing your Slack integration will not remove Clockwise functionality like Focus Time, flexible meeting moves, or color-coding functionality from your calendar. To fully disable all Clockwise functionality, you need to deactivate your account from the Settings tab. See how to do that here
- Please do not deactivate from the Slack store. There is a higher risk that you will cancel Clockwise for your entire org instead of just yourself.
Disconnect your Slack account directly in the Slack App:
- Navigate to your Slack App
- Open up the Clockwise app in Slack
- Click on the Settings tab
- Scroll through your options and click the Disconnect button
Remove your Slack Account from your Clockwise account:
- Navigate to your settings in Clockwise by opening Google Calendar, navigating to the Clockwise panel, clicking menu, and selecting Settings.
- Scroll down to "Integrations (Slack, Zoom, Asana)"
- Scroll to the "Slack" section and Click "Disconnect Slack Account"
This operation will remove your Slack account from Clockwise and disable the Slack status updates from Clockwise. Your Clockwise account will still be active.